Friday, December 18, 2015

The Writers' League #3: Praising Through Critiquing

"Praise in public. Critique in private."

"Refuse to criticize, correct or interrupt in public and be careful to be respectful on how it's done."


A critique of an article is the objective analysis of a literary or scientific article with emphasis on whether or not the author supported his main points with reasonable and applicable arguments based on facts. It's easy to get caught up in simply summarizing the points of an article without truly analyzing and challenging it. A good critique demonstrates your impressions of the article, while providing ample evidence to back up your impressions. (Wikihow, 2014)

It was just a photocopied paper... but it changed me as a noob writer. Wow, how powerful words can be. I read all the three texts.

The poems?
They were too complicated. I couldn't absorb the gist of each work of art. I appreciate it, though. However, I am not yet used to complicating complicated things which complicates this complicated complications. *shrugs

The drama?
The one-act drama blew me away. I want more of it! I was satisfied but unsatisfied. Satisfied because it gave me the effect of being in a real theater house. Unsatisfied, on the other hand, because it kept me hanging. I wanted more of the drama... I need to know what happened next. There were too many questions left unanswered, too many possibilities wanting to fit the box... I just... love it and hate it... all at the same time. HAHAHA

The short story?
And this is what I chose to critique because I heard it whispering to me, "Read me, read me, read me..." And I came up with this CRITIQUE:

            "It needs so much imagery to present a love story between a 16 year old guy and her romantic interest who is 8 years younger than him", I thought to myself.
            Did Ma'am just told me to read the story? I don't think so, because just a few minutes ago, I thought I just watched a movie on a channel I have made up on my mind.
            I was expecting that the The Diamond Mine, being a short story, used simple English and easy-understood  language style. But as I read the first paragraph, "Woah, 'self' please stop." I refrained myself from continuing the struggle of trying to understand the meaning of each sentences. I need to adjust to the writer's writing chic. Now this is classic and challenging, and I'm ready to bring on the battle!
            The story was sensual -- in both ways. Sensual because it involves many senses and the other reason, is that the story is marked with the passion and pleasure of the two protagonists.
            Touch: "The next Saturday, her arms went around him, his around her, her face approached, was pressed, breathed in..."
            Smell: "...perfume the essence of flower fixed by alcohol..."
            Sound: "..and breathed against the hollow of neck where the pendulum of the heartbeat.."
            Taste: "...but there is ice cream with canned peaches, coffee served and peppermints."
            Sight: "He is blond, stocky in khaki, attractively nearsight, so that the eyes..."
           
            The author did an outstanding job of putting up images on the reader minds. Using words in detail and describing each setting very distinctively, I've come up with my "modified Tilla" and "personalized soldier".
           
            Lastly, I admire the hidden secrets behind the choice of the title. Read and you'll eventually know what I'm saying.
           
            Now I've learned... there's a diamond treasure in the mining cave of words and stories and literature. We just need to dig in deep... deeper.



For me, it was not critiquing that I've made, it was more of praising. I just realized it when I finished doing the article. However, it's still an opinion... and I guess it can still be counted as a critique paper. Hahahahaha

I just want to express my heartfelt gratitude to Ma'am Sassy for being one of the most inspirational teachers I've known, to my classmates who are very supportive, to my family who always gives and forgives, loves and understands, and above all, to my LORD JESUS CHRIST who deserves my highest PRAISE... Merry CHRISTmas! I love you all and God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment