Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Writers' League #13: You Give Your Title

Wri-thing Is

God, thank you. After three days of thinking and planning and opening this blog trying to update my post, I have now the courage to write again.

And again.

And again.

Writing. how am I going to define this word?

Maybe, writing is your favorite shirt you always want to wear. It reflects your personality. It tells the world what the color of your heart is. Imprinted on it is your deepest desire, dreams and goals.


Maybe, writing is the last tricycle driver who brought you where you are right now. It brings you to places you've never been before. It gives you a free ride and a free round trip ticket from the 'Katotohanan World' to the 'Kalawakan ng Imahinasyon'.


Maybe,writing is the person next beside you right now. Seen or unseen, it gives you company. Without any reason at all, you feel a sense of comfort because you know that there is someone/something you can turn on to, a way to burst out what you feel on the deepest part of your aorta.

Maybe,writing is as simple as this. Putting the letters together to create words, and words to create phrases, and phrases to create sentences. Thus, the story of writing. Bow.

But it's not it. It's not how I see writing. Writing is more than what is defined in the book or in school... I have learned that writing is more than that...

Writing is giving away a piece of your heart.

Writing is laying down your personality in a piece of paper.

Writing is a gift from God.


My Writing Timeline

It was on my second grade when I started my simple ABC writing on that typical exclusive elementary paper.

It was on my third grade when I learned to write my simple sentences.

It was on my fourth grade when I learned that I need to put a period on my sentence.

It was on my fifth grade when I learned to write my first informal writing.

It was on my sixth grade when I made a Horror Story Book with my self-made horror stories. I made a business out of it. My classmates rent that book for 1 peso per reading.

It was on my 1st year in high school when I did my first full-length novel completing all the 80 leaves of my notebook. It was entitled "I Love You, Goodbye".

It was on my 2nd year when I joined the official publication of Samar National School, The Samarinan, as a feature writer. But, I failed on one contest and I stopped writing.

The rest, was history. Idle years of not experiencing the Writer's Block because I never wrote anything since then.

And here I am, by the grace of God, a third year English student, whose hands are resurrected to get a pen and a paper, and write again.

My Salt and Pepper Writing

I don't consider myself as a good writer. I have many more things to improve. Just like the coffee I'm drinking right now, I wish I have put more cream into it, or maybe add a little sugar... just to get the Starbucks-like coffee taste.

But I realized, just at this very moment while I'm writing this... it doesn't have to taste like Starbucks. So as in writing the best article... it doesn't need to be superficial... you just need to be real and authentic.

My Kind of Salt (Strength)

1. I have God who gives me wisdom
2. Though I can't do anything, God can write on my behalf
3. I involve all the parts of my being to the story I'm writing
4. I love to think out of the box
5. I want to give time in whatever I'm writing (it means facing the computer 7 hours straight)

My Pepper Flaws (Weakness)

1. I don't write immediately
2. I am a couch potato
3. My creative juices are extracted for years
4. My writing madness is only triggered the night before the deadline
5. I lack focus. I love doing things all at the same time. Result? Zero accomplishment.

In my weakness, God is my strength.

Future Panorama of a Pen

I believe I'm a pen. I can't write all by myself. I need someone to hold me tightly, and use me to fulfill my purpose. That someone is Jesus Christ. Therefore, I'd pursue Christ first, everything shall follow. I want to be a writer, God willing.

I want to be a writer not because I want to be famous or rich. I want to write purely for the works of God, to glorify His Name. After all, it's all the reason why we are living in this world.

I want to publish a book not because I want to leave a legacy of my name, but because I want God to be known in all the earth.

This dream could not be accomplished overnight... but in unceasing prayers everyday, we'll be able to reach the place God wants us to be.

An Open Letter of Thanksgiving

Dear Ma'am Sassy,

Hello po Ma'am! Ma'am, I thank God every time I remember you. (Philippians 1:3) Ma'am salamat han tanan tanan. Usa ka gud nga instrument nga ginhatag ni LORD GOD para mabuligan kami. Ma'am, everything you have done for us is so much appreciated. Babalunon namon ini ngada tam kalagas. Waray mo gud igkahangol an imo wisdom, you have given it very generously. You're an inspiration to us all.

Ma'am sorry la po talaga kun danay maaringasa kami tas pasarawayon... pero grbe po imo patience ha im mga estudyante. Ma'am Sassy, you're one of a kind. You're a very wonderful, creative, brilliant and loving mentor. You've taught us not only the ability to write, but the ability to love what we write.

We love you with the love of the LORD, Ma'am Sassy! We will always pray for youuuuu. God bless Ma'am! <3


Bottomline of Writing

After all, Writing is all about the first word and the last word of this entry.

Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment