Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Writers' League #7: Inside the Fish I Pray

I woke up this morning with the hope that everything was just a dream. But I know everything that happened this week was as real as this flesh covering my bones. Everything's real... And so, I pinched my self back to reality, and opened the Bible. Amazingly, God directed me to read this passage in the Book of Jonah 2:1-9.

Jonah's Prayer
(Jonah 2: 1-9)

From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. 
He said:
“In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry.
You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers
swept over me.
I said, ‘I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple.’
The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you, Lord my God,
brought my life up from the pit.
“When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, Lord, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple.
“Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them.
But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’ ”
And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

God knew what I was going through and He wants me to remember that He's in control in every area of my life. This was Jonah's prayer, and it was the most silent prayer of my heart, too. Many things had happened this week. From the most overwhelming mountaintop feeling to the most unexpected downfall. And I know, through this roller coaster ride, I'm in good hands, hidden in God's palm.

'Rap= to talk ; Ripple=to make waves' equals RAPPLER
I was away this week. We went to Sogod, Southern Leyte for the RTSPC (Regional Tertiary Press Conference). We camped in GV Hotel for 4 days and 3 nights. Most of the time, we were just sitting and eating and listening to the speakers' endless pursuit of introducing the new multimedia platforms for journalism. Ms. Maria Ressa, the CEO of Rappler was there. And she was great. Everything she said was worthy to be quoted. I remember one thing she said:
"You emerge yourself to what you are writing."

Yes, we are. Thanks, Ms. Ressa for reminding us. :D

Being away from my family was a struggle. I missed them so much, and I just want to go home everyday to check out on them, if they're doing fine. But I can't, Sogod is 5 hours away from Catbalogan. So the only thing I did was to pray... I know we are being connected by God through prayers.

Many things happened there, and God is so amazing because God worked on each of us, some of us even won. But I guess those achievements are nothing compared to the priceless gain of having Jesus in our lives. But still, thank you LORD for the bonus! Hehehe :D

Sunday it was when we arrived home. I was expecting Mom and Dad to welcome me back with arms wide open, but I saw no one in the house. I charged my phone then I got 2 messages from Mom. She said they left to go to the hospital. She even said "Congratulations day!  Love you day." Mom knew. She called and she explained that she met Ma'am Lopez at Grand Tours and Ma'am told her the news.

Mom, if you only knew it was for you...

I slept for 5 hours and woke up with the beeping of my phone. Dad's calling. He said Mom got confined in the hospital. I got the chance to talk to Mom and say to her that I love her.

If only I could take away the pain that she's going through right now.
If only I was beside her.
If only...
But I know God has a purpose on everything. And I know, she's healing Mom on the process. Thus, all I have to do is to praise and trust GOD!


This week was a challenge, and a growth opportunity as well. God breaks us to make us whole again. God allows pain, to heal us again. God said, "Greater things are yet to come!" Therefore, I will hold on to Him still... I will. I love you, LORD! <3

1 comment:

  1. Hi ma'am. I don't know if you are still writing here but I'm hoping you won't be able to read this anytime soon. You have introduced us (your students) to this blogspot but I guess I am the one only who's still writing here.
    I just wanted you to know that I really didn't search for this HAHAHA I was writing on my blog when (I really don't have any idea what I did that brought me here ) I found myself here.

    It was odd though but a bit magical as I keep thinking about it.
    But as I read Jonah's prayer something struck me, it was what my heart truly needed right now. It was Him that I needed now. It was only Him.
    I badly needed Him right now.

    ReplyDelete